Sunday, May 26, 2013

¡Bienvenidos! Welcome!

Welcome to my brand new blog! I hope you find some ideas you can use and adapt for your own classroom. I've benefited from so many bloggers' ideas, talented teachers of every grade level and every subject. I've also enjoyed sharing my activities at different teacher conferences, but now that I'm a mom I don't want to spend so much non-work time away from my daughter. I figured a teacher blog would be a great way for me to reenergize, to feel valued as a teacher, and to meet other creative and enthusiastic teachers.

I'm finishing up my 22nd year teaching, which seems impossible because I'm only 25 years old. :) I've been lying about my age for so long that I barely remember what it truly is, but I've also found that by throwing my mystery age into a dull-heading lesson I can get students refocused quickly. Why is it that they just love to know how old we are?  Most of my teaching experience has been in middle school Spanish, but I've also taught French, ESL, and art, elementary, high school, college, and continuing education. I've also conducted professional development workshops on language-learning topics, learning styles, and instructional technology. I just really like teaching, I guess!

About ten years ago, I pursued National Board Certification as a way to affirm my expertise, since I seldom felt appreciated by my administrators. I'm not a follower, I'm a bit outspoken, and I don't always agree just to be nice; it's not being disrespectful when you have facts behind your opinions. After achieving certification, I pursued a doctorate in Instructional Leadership. Actually, I applied for the program two days after completing the Boards process, and my first doctoral seminal was the same day I found out that I had achieved the certification! My certificate expires in November, I chose not to renew because the benefits I enjoyed the most (mentoring other candidates, leading conferences, attending "fancy" meetings as an invited NBCT guest) are things I didn't want to do anymore after becoming a mom. I earned my doctorate in 2008, and three days later began the process to adopt my daughter.

My daughter is four years old, going on seventeen. She's an incredible person, I'd say that even if she weren't mine. As an "older" mom, I find myself comparing my professional and personal opinions about her education. She loves her school and I definitely see how much she's learning, but I don't know how much I should reinforce at home. I'm trying to teach her Spanish but she's very uninterested, yet the Spanish they "learn" at school she excels at. (The teachers don't speak Spanish, it's a pre written curriculum and not at all what I'd recommend as an early language exposure program. Often their words are things I've already used at home, so my daughter seems brilliant until each new teacher realizes I speak Spanish.)

It's been interesting blending my experiences as an educator, researcher, and now mom. I'm excited to start this part of my life's journey, and I hope you continue to join me on my travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment